Offering exceptional full color diagrams and clinical images, Langman's Medical Embryology
helps medical, nursing, and health professions students develop a basic understanding of embryology and its clinical relevance. Concise chapter summaries, captivating clinical correlates boxes, clinical problems, and a clear, concise writing style make the subject matter accessible to students and relevant to instructors.
The new edition is enhanced by over 100 new and updated illustrations, additional clinical images and photos of early embryologic development, and an expanded chapter on the cardiovascular system. In addition, online teaching and learning resources include the fully searchable text online, as well as an interactive Quiz Bank for students and an image bank.
- Clinical Correlates boxes illustrated by cases and images cover birth defects, developmental abnormalities, and other clinical phenomena.
- More than 400 illustrations—including full-color line drawings, scanning electron micrographs, and clinical images—clarify key aspects of embryonic development.
- Basic genetic molecular biology principles are highlighted throughout the text to link embryology to other critical specialties.
- Chapter Overview figures provide a visually compelling introduction to each chapter.
- Problems to Solve (with detailed answers at the back of the book) help you assess your understanding.
- An expanded glossary defines key terms and concepts.
- An online interactive USMLE-style Question Bank helps you review for exams and prepare for the Boards.
Part 1: General Embryology
1. Introduction to Molecular Regulation and Signaling
2. Gametogenesis: Conversion of Germ Cells into Male and Female Gametes
3. First Week of Development: Ovulation to Implantation
4. Second Week of Development: Bilaminar Germ Disc
5. Third Week of Development: Trilaminar Germ Disc
6. Third to Eight Weeks: The Embryonic Period
7. The Gut Tube and the Body Cavities
8. Third Month to Birth: The Fetus and Placenta
9. Birth Defects and Prenatal Diagnosis
Part 2: Systems-Based Embryology
10. The Axial Skeleton
11. Muscular System
13. Cardiovascular System
14. Respiratory System
15. Digestive System
16. Urogenital System
17. Head and Neck
18. Central Nervous System
21. Integumentary System
Part 3: Appendix
Answers to Problems
Glossary of Key Terms
“This book is clearly well written and this has been a real eye opener as to how clean and colorful a text can be in embryology, ultimately making it such a joy to learn from. I am quite happy I was able to come across this text and see how much different and better it is than what I used for my embryology.” --Student Reviewer
“Illustrations are very pleasing to the reader. I am thoroughly impressed with the figures and respective images. The shear [sic] number of examples I am able to see through example figures/images is very captivating and engaging as a student.” --Student Reviewer
- Publication Month
- December 2014
- Edition Type
- Thirteenth, International Edition
- Product Format
- Height x Width
- 6452 x 4522 mm
- 360153 grams
- Number of Pages
- 400 pages
- MEDICAL / Embryology
- Country of Manufacture