The Scar Book
Formation, Mitigation, Rehabilitation and Prevention
400 pages, 212.72 x 276.23 mm, 100
400 pages, 212.72 x 276.23 mm, 100 illustrations
- ISBN: 9781496322388
- March 2017
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
Scarring and fibrosis affect millions of people worldwide, and can be devastating both physically and psychologically, whether they result from major trauma such as burns or common conditions such as acne. Put today’s most advanced clinical approaches to work for your patients with The Scar Book: Formation, Mitigation, Rehabilitation, and Prevention! A multidisciplinary team of leading world experts presents the state of the art in scar pathophysiology and treatment, breaking down the barriers between medical disciplines to provide unprecedented holistic guidance.
- Grasp the full scope of the problem with a section on “Perspectives,” which presents insights into the history and current state of trauma rehabilitation, reconstruction, and scar management, and examines some of the ethical principles that serve to guide decision making.
- Understand scar pathophysiology with a section on “Formation” that covers the development of normotrophic, hypertrophic, and atrophic scars after cutaneous injury.
- Apply interventions that expedite wound healing and minimize scarring after injury with a section on “Mitigation.”
- Reduce the impact of existing scars, both large and small, with a comprehensive section on “Rehabilitation” that encompasses a wide range of treatment options including medical management, surgical revision, lasers and light devices, fat grafting, multimodal scar management, physical measures, scar camouflage, mental health support, and considerations in special populations such as children and patients with skin of color.
- Explore scar-related research and future advances with a section on “Prevention.”
Your book purchase includes a complimentary download of the enhanced eBook for iOS, Android, PC & Mac.
Take advantage of these practical features that will improve your eBook experience:
- The ability to download the eBook on multiple devices at one time — providing a seamless reading experience online or offline
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links allow you to search within this book, or across your entire library of VitalSource eBooks
- Multiple viewing options offer the ability to scale images and text to any size without losing page clarity as well as responsive design
- The ability to highlight text and add notes with one click
"Finally, a comprehensive scar book.... Drs. Andrew Krakowski and Peter Shumaker have gathered a stellar group of authors to tackle everything you ever wanted to know and more about the evaluation and management of scars.... Each section provides extensive insight from different authors who are considered leaders in their fields."
John Browning, MD. Pediatric
Dermatology Vol. 34 No. 5 631, 2017.
"It serves as an excellent reference for both junior and seasoned plastic surgeons desiring to have an overview of the most up-to-date knowledge available on scarring and fibrosis. Written by two dermatologists, it is refreshing to see this undertaking carried out in a multispecialty manner with attention to detail in its tone and content. The Scar Book reads much like a novel, and though the thought of scar typically leads one to look away, this edition is delightfully intriguing and offers a substantially unique perspective on scar that draws one further into its well-written pages."
Anuja K. Antony, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2019