Cancer Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy and Biotherapy
640 Pages, 212.00 x 276.00 x 0.00 mm
640 pages, 212.00 x 276.00 x 0.00 mm
- Cloth Over Boards
- ISBN: 9781496375148
- October 2018
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
Thoroughly revised and reformatted, the sixth edition of Cancer Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy and Biotherapy reflects recent significant changes in cancer treatment. This newly streamlined edition contains full-color illustrations, more tables for quick reference, and new immunotherapy and molecular targeted therapy content that brings you fully up to date with the state of the art in all current cancer therapies.
- Provides thorough, comprehensive coverage of the scientific and clinical aspects of immunotherapy, biotherapy, and chemotherapy.
- Includes significantly expanded information on immunotherapy and molecular targeted therapy, as well as the latest information on all drugs and biological agents—their mechanisms of action, interactions with other agents, toxicities, side effects, and mechanisms of resistance.
- Features a new, full-color format, a newly streamlined presentation. and more tables and figures throughout for quick access to high-yield information.
- Explains the rationale for use of drugs in specific schedules and combinations and offers guidelines for dose adjustment in specific situations.
- Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.
"This edition of a hugely successful overview of the scientific and clinical aspects of chemotherapy, biotherapy, and immunotherapy reflects the great changes in the field in recent years. The book also includes a discussion of hormone antagonists used for the two most common hormone-dependent cancers, breast and prostate.
The main purpose is to provide the latest information in this area, especially with regards to the basic principles and mechanisms of various commonly used therapeutic approaches in medical oncology. While there are other books on the subject, the main idea here is to provide a comprehensive view of the multiple treatment approaches.
The book is intended primarily for medical oncologists and trainees including students, residents and fellows interested in medical oncology. The book may also be well suited for scientists as well as advanced graduate students working on cancer treatment.
The 34 chapters are conveniently organized into five broad sections. The first section, by far the biggest, covers the basic principles of cancer treatment in the first 18 chapters. Chapters 1-6 each cover the basic aspects such as the role of drugs in cancer treatment, target identification, drug development and regulatory approval, PK/PD, and pharmacogenomics. Following these basic chapters, which kind of serve as a preamble, each of the remaining chapters in this section is devoted to the various commonly used anticancer drugs. Each of the chapters in section II on targeted therapies describes agents used such as proteasome inhibitors, tyrosine kinase inhibitors, MAP kinase inhibitors, CDK inhibitors, and other commonly used including anti-angiogenesis inhibitors.
Sections III and IV deal with hormone antagonists and immune-based therapies, respectively. The latter focuses on monoclonal antibody, cytokine, and adaptive cell therapy for cancer. Finally, section V, on aspects of supportive care, covers antiemetics, hematopoietic growth factors, and coagulopathies. Written by leading experts in the field, the chapters are well thought out and well presented with sufficient tables and illustrations, and impressive bibliographies.
Overall, this is an informative and authoritative book that includes experiences from clinicians and scientists working at some of the most renowned cancer centers in the world. Although there are other books on similar subjects, such as The Basic Science of Oncology, 5th edition, Tannock et al. (McGraw Hill 2013), and Physicians' Cancer Chemotherapy Drug Manual 2019, Chu and DeVita (Jones & Bartlett, 2019), this book stands out as unique."
Weighted Numerical Score: 100 - 5 Stars!
Publication Month: October, 2018
Product Format: Hardcover
Height x Width: 276.000 x 212.000 mm
Weight: 0.185 kg
Number of pages: 640 pages
Bisacs: MEDICAL / Oncology