Sapira's Art & Science of Bedside Diagnosis
Fifth edition, Revised Reprint
672 pages, 212.72 x 276.23 mm, 380
672 pages, 212.72 x 276.23 mm, 380 illustrations
- ISBN: 9781975117993
- July 2018
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
- Serves as an essential road map to the individual, interdependent, and artful side of the practice of medicine using time-honored, hands-on methods.
- Helps you gain the most reliable information from your patients, leading to accurate differential diagnoses and efficient diagnostic strategies.
- Contains new material on endocrinology; the history and philosophy of medicine; orthopaedics, neurologic diagnoses and traumatic brain injury, dermatology; Guarino’s auscultatory percussion of the skull; hearing, the vestibular system, and intracranial hypertension; ophthalmoscopy; podiatry; and more.
- Details effective approaches to various types of patients, including those who are forgetful or confused, vague, using illegal substances, non-English speaking, hard of hearing, hostile, evasive, and many other frequently encountered situations.
- Includes “Points to Remember,” interesting historical tidbits, relevant references, and more than 300 questions with answers and discussion.
Enhance Your eBook Reading Experience
- Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.
This is the fifth edition of a comprehensive book for those just starting their medical careers and those with years of experience who wish to review the current practice of bedside diagnosis. The previous was published in 2010. This edition includes access to an ebook version.
The purpose is to preserve the legacy of bedside diagnosis in an era of evidence-based medicine and time restrictions placed upon clinicians who practice the art of medicine on a daily basis.
The book is written for differing levels of experience and background knowledge, which makes it very learner friendly, progressing from their current level of understanding and introducing additional items in each area of diagnosis. The author has brought together a seasoned and experienced group of educators to achieve this goal.
The book begins with the basics of what diagnostic equipment to purchase, with a bit of history about the progression of medical equipment. This is followed by general concepts such as the science and then the art of the clinical examination along with the ethical foundations of the examination. Chapters on the interview cover specific topics such as The Patient Who Seems to Be Changing His Story, and The Patient Who is a Member of a Subculture with Its Own Jargon. These are extraordinarily useful topics. The chapter on the history discusses the distinction between the interview and the history brings out the nuances between the two. Subsequent chapters align with the traditional areas of examination, e.g. the eye, the ear, the heart, etc. These are brought together with a chapter on clinical reasoning to help one think in terms of the differential diagnosis. There are numerous black-and-white and color photographs and intuitive tables, along with highly entertaining figures that support the concept of the clinical examination.
This is a very complete book enabling new learners and experienced clinicians to learn at their individual levels.
Weighted Numerical Score: 81 - 3 Stars
Publication Month: July, 2018
Product Format: Hardcover
Height x Width: 276.230 x 212.720 mm
Weight: 1.882 kg
Number of pages: 672 pages
Bisacs: MEDICAL / Internal Medicine