Lippincott® Illustrated Reviews: Physiology
Second edition, International Edition
Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Series
544 Pages, 212.00 x 276.00 mm
544 pages, 212.00 x 276.00 mm
- Trade Paperback
- ISBN: 9781975128548
- February 2019
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
- A new chapter on erythropoiesis and blood gas transport provides critical information on this key topic.
- New content on the impact of normal aging on organ function brings the book thoroughly up to date.
- Review questions with explanations for each system help prepare students for course and board examinations.
- More than 600 annotated, full-color illustrations—including more than 20 new to this edition—guide readers step by step through complex processes.
- Overviews and Chapter Summaries set clear goals for topic mastery and reemphasize essential concepts in a coherent framework.
- Clinical Applications boxes and clinical images encourage readers to apply their knowledge, taking them from the classroom to the bedside.
- Margin Example Equation boxes and in-text boxes highlight memorable information and keep physiology in a real-world context.
- Five online animations explain complex concepts in a memorable way.
- A consistent outline format makes critical information easy to access and assimilate.
- Cross references and Infolinks to topics are keyed to page headers to expedite location and are also provided for topics in other books in the Lippincott ® Illustrated Reviews series to help students develop an interdisciplinary grasp of key concepts.
- Unit-review questions in board-review style test understanding of fundamental concepts as well as the students’ ability to draw connections among multiple organ systems.
- eBook available for purchase. Fast, smart, and convenient, today’s eBooks can transform learning. These interactive, fully searchable tools offer 24/7 access on multiple devices, the ability to highlight and share notes, and more
UNIT I: Principles of Physiologic Function
Chapter 1: Cell and Membrane Physiology, 1
Chapter 2: Membrane Excitability, 16
Chapter 3: Osmosis and Body Fluids, 27
Chapter 4: Epithelial and Connective Tissue, 36
UNIT II: Sensory and Motor Systems
Chapter 5: Nervous System Organization, 53
Chapter 6: Central Nervous System, 66
Chapter 7: Autonomic Nervous System, 77
Chapter 8: Vision, 91
Chapter 9: Hearing and Balance, 102
Chapter 10: Taste and Smell, 114
Chapter 11: Motor Control Systems, 122
UNIT III: Musculoskeletal and Integumental Physiology
Chapter 12: Skeletal Muscle, 137
Chapter 13: Smooth Muscle, 149
Chapter 14: Bone, 158
Chapter 15: Skin, 169
UNIT IV: Cardiovascular System
Chapter 16: Cardiac Excitation, 183
Chapter 17: Cardiac Mechanics, 200
Chapter 18: Blood and the Vasculature, 215
Chapter 19: Cardiovascular Regulation, 233
Chapter 20: Special Circulations, 252
UNIT V: Respiratory System
Chapter 21: Lung Mechanics, 265
Chapter 22: Gas Exchange, 283
Chapter 23: Blood and Gas Transport, 294
Chapter 24: Respiratory Regulation, 308
UNIT VI: Urinary System
Chapter 25: Filtration and Micturition, 323
Chapter 26: Reabsorption and Secretion, 339
Chapter 27: Urine Formation, 352
Chapter 28: Water and Electrolyte Balance, 368
UNIT VII: Gastrointestinal System
Chapter 29: Principles and Signaling, 389
Chapter 30: Mouth, Esophagus, and Stomach, 395
Chapter 31: Small and Large Intestines, 404
Chapter 32: Exocrine Pancreas and Liver, 414
UNIT VIII: Endocrine System
Chapter 33: Endocrine Pancreas and Liver, 423
Chapter 34: Adrenal Glands, 434
Chapter 35: Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands, 443
Chapter 36: Male and Female Gonads, 452
UNIT IX: Living and Dying
Chapter 37: Pregnancy and Birth, 467
Chapter 38: Thermal Stress and Fever, 480
Chapter 39: Exercise and Bed Rest, 488
Chapter 40: Systems Failure, 498
Appendix A: Normal Physiologic Values, 521
Appendix B: Reference Equations, 524
Figure Credits, 525
Publication Month: February, 2019
Product Format: Paperback
Height x Width: 276.000 x 212.000 mm
Weight: 0.136 kg
Number of pages: 544 pages