Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice
Fifth edition, International Edition
- Trade Paperback
- ISBN: 9781975173715
- October 2021
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
Anchored in pharmacology and the principles of therapeutics, and written by experts in the field, this is your road map to effective drug therapies. Learn to correctly identify a disorder, review the drugs used to treat it, and select the optimal therapy. With expert direction on more than 50 common disorders, this is the ideal resource for advanced practice clinicians and students learning pharmacotherapeutics, and a go-to reference for experienced clinicians.
Learn best practices for selecting the safest, most effective drug therapies . . .
- NEW section on pain management, addressing Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) and use of cannabis
- NEW and updated content on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies, pharmacogenomics, liver disorders and substance use disorders
- Easy-to-follow, evidence-based algorithms and drug tables
- Content organized by drug class, with quick-scan access to generic and trade names, and dosages
- Explains pharmacology and patient management topics – easy-to-remember, clearly worded definitions and descriptions of common presentations
- Offers the foundation of drug therapeutics, including:
- The prescribing process from pregnancy through elderly ages
- Avoiding medication errors
- Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, drug interactions and adverse events
- Principles of antimicrobial therapy
- Chapters organized by body system or disorder for quick-reference:
- Dermatitis - Bacterial, fungal, and viral infections of the skin
- Ophthalmic disorders, otitis media and otitis externa
- Hypertension, hyperlipidemia, myocardial Infarction, heart failure, arrhythmias
- Respiratory infections, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Gastric, functional and inflammatory bowel disorders
- Liver diseases
- Urinary tract infection, prostatic disorders and erectile dysfunction, overactive bladder, sexually transmitted infections
- Osteoarthritis and gout, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis
- Headaches, seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease
- Major depressive disorder, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders
- Chapter features include:
- Brief overview – Pathophysiology of each disorder and relevant classes of drugs
- Monitoring Patient Response section – What to monitor and when
- Patient Education section – Includes information on CAM for each disorder
- Drug Overview Tables – List drug uses, mechanisms of action, adverse effects, drug interactions, contraindications, and monitoring parameters
- Algorithms – Visual cues on how to approach treatment
- Case Study and Questions – Provided for each disorder
- Instructor Resources – Case study answers, additional case studies, multiple choice questions, power points, acronyms list
About the Clinical Editors
Virginia P. Arcangelo, PhD, NP, is a retired Family Nurse Practitioner who has taught and practiced at Thomas Jefferson University, and in private practices.
Andrew M. Peterson, PharmD, PhD, FCPP, is Executive Director of the Substance Use Disorders Institute, John Wyeth Dean Emeritus, and Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Professor of Health Policy at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia.
Veronica F. Wilbur, PhD, APRN-FNP, CNE, FAANP, is Associate Professor of Graduate Nursing in the Department of Nursing at West Chester University, West Chester, Pennsylvania, and practices as an NP in Delaware.
Tep M. Kang, PharmD, BCPS, is Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Surgical Critical Care at Christiana Care Health System in Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania.
Publication Month: October, 2021
Product Format: Paperback
Height x Width: 0.000 x 0.000
Number of pages: 1152 pages
Bisacs: MEDICAL / Nursing / Pharmacology