Amy M. KarchRead MoreFully adapted for the UK, this text presents essential pharmacology concepts in a streamlined, user-friendly fashion. Organized by body system, the book explains the rationale for each drug class's therapeutic actions, contraindications, and adverse effects, using the British National Formulary as its reference guide. Each chapter opens with learning objectives and ends with questions to reinforce learning. Illustrations, tables, side bars, and boxes summarize concepts and focus attention on critical thinking, patient safety, evidence-based practice, lifespan issues, patient teaching, and case study-based critical thinking exercises.
Solving Problems Using Dimensional AnalysisGloria P. CraigRead MoreClinical Calculations Made Easy is a compact, easy-to-use, pocket-sized guide/reference to dosage calculation and drug administration. It includes a review of basic math skills, measurement systems, and drug calculations/preparations using dimensional analysis. The sixth edition provides many opportunities for students to practice their skills. Additional practice problems further strengthen the student’s dosage calculations skills while new information related to vaccines has been added with tables for administering vaccines to adults and children. In addition, there are practice problems related to the tables to help students understand how to use these types of tables effectively.
Dosage Calculation, Preparation, and AdministrationSusan BuchholzRead MoreThis best-selling text features a highly visual, hands-on approach to learning dosage calculations and principles of drug administration. It presents step-by-step approaches to solving problems and includes dosage problems that simulate actual clinical experience. Each chapter includes numerous examples, self-tests, and proficiency tests.
Lippincott's Visual Encyclopedia of Clinical Skills is an innovative book that improves nursing skills through the use of close-up pictures. More than 700 detailed, full-color photographs, diagrams, step-by-step illustrations, and other graphics help nurses better understand the correct way to perform everyday clinical skills and procedures. More than 220 current nursing procedures are made instantly understandable through an innovative visual approach.
The clear, succinct text for each skill includes step-by-step instructions and rationales for critical steps, explaining why that step is important. Recurring icons alert nurses to vital safety information and instances where the patient's age requires procedure modifications.
A Practical ApproachVirginia Poole Arcangelo, Andrew M. Peterson, Veronica Wilbur, Jennifer A. ReinholdRead MoreBe ready to prescribe and administer drugs safely and effectively—and grasp all the vitals of pharmacology—with the fully updated Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice, 4th edition.
Written by pharmacology nursing experts, this easy-to-read text offers proven frameworks for treating more than 50 common diseases and disorders. Learn how to identify disorders, review possible therapies, then prescribe and monitor drug treatment, accurately. Based on current evidence and real-life patient scenarios, this is the perfect pharmacology learning guide and on-the-spot clinical resource.
Absorb the key principles and practical methods for accurate prescribing and monitoring, with . . .
- NEW chapter on Parkinson’s disease, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis
- NEW and updated therapies, and updated and additional case studies, with sample questions
- NEW content on the impacts of the Affordable Care Act
- Updated chapters on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and pharmacogenomics
- Updated evidence-based algorithms and drug tables – Listing uses, mechanisms, adverse effects, drug interactions, contraindications, and monitoring parameters, organized by drug class; quick access to generic and trade names and dosages
- Quick-scan format organizes information by body system
- Chapter features include:
- Brief overview – Pathophysiology of each disorder, and relevant classes of drugs
- Monitoring Patient Response section – What to monitor, and when
- Patient Education section – Includes information on CAM for each disorder
- Drug Overview tables – Usual dose, contraindications and side effects, and special considerations
- Algorithms – Visual cues on how to approach treatment
- Updated Recommended Order of Treatment tables – First-, second- and third-line drug therapies for each disorder
- Answers to Case Study Questions for each disorder – Strengthens critical thinking skills
- Selecting the Most Appropriate Agent section – The thought process for choosing an initial drug therapy
- Principles of Therapeutics unit – Avoiding medication errors; pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics; impact of drug interactions and adverse events; principles of pharmacotherapy for pediatrics, pregnancy/lactation, and geriatrics
- Disorders units – Pharmacotherapy for disorders in various body systems
- Pharmacotherapy in Health Promotion unit – Smoking cessation, immunizations, weight management
- Women’s Health unit – Including contraception, menopause, and osteoporosis
- Integrative Approach to Patient Care unit – Issues to consider when presented with more than one diagnosis
- Standard pharmacotherapeutics text for nurse practitioners, students, and physician assistants
- Ancillaries – Case Study answers, multiple choice questions and answers for every chapter, PowerPoints, Acronyms List
A Scientific and Traditional ApproachMerrily A. Kuhn, David WinstonRead More
The Second Edition of this pocket guide presents the essentials of herbal therapy and nutritional supplements, combining the traditional and scientific worlds. Dr. Kuhn has a PhD in physiology and is author of two pharmacology textbooks; Mr. Winston is a traditional herbalist in practice with a native American heritage.
The book covers 115 herbs that are commonly available in the United States and Canada and 15 nutritional supplements. Coverage of each herb includes traditional and current uses, dangers and toxicities, and a bibliography. This edition includes 15 new herbs.