Timby's Fundamental Nursing Skills and Concepts
Twelfth edition, International Edition
- ISBN: 9781975161262
- October 2020
This price is valid for the United Kingdom, change location to view local pricing and availability
Students using this text will learn theoretical nursing concepts, step-by-step skills and procedures, and clinical applications, all while applying philosophical concepts focusing on the human experience, such as caring as the essence of nursing, supportive health care provider networks, and accountability for actions and clinical decisions. Engaging learning tools promote critical thinking, and visually enticing photos and illustrations bring the information to life to reinforce learning.
Updated to help students meet the needs of today’s changing healthcare environment, this new edition reflects the most current medical and nursing practices, including up-to-date gerontologic, pharmacologic, and nutritional considerations and the latest NANDA diagnoses and terminology.
- UPDATED! Extensively revised content equips students with the most up-to-date medical and nursing practices.
- NEW! Key points at the end of each chapter outline essential information for faster, more efficient study.
- NEW! Integrated gerontologic, pharmacologic, and nutritional considerations, identified by icons, help students connect concepts to relevant chapter content.
- UPDATED! NANDA diagnoses labels and definitions in Nursing Implications and accompanying Nursing Care Plans reflect the latest NANDA-I publication, Nursing Diagnoses 2019–2020.
- Words to Know listed at the beginning of each chapter clarify key nursing and technical terminology.
- Learning Objectives keep students focused on the most valuable chapter content for effective study and practice.
- Focus on the Nursing Process throughout the text familiarizes students with this important approach to practice and reinforces its use in the application of skills and nursing care planning.
- Nursing Care Plans provide realistic client profiles, diagnostic statements, interventions and rationales, and evidence-based evaluations to prepare students to address common clinical scenarios.
- Skills demonstrate chapter concepts in action and familiarize students with standard precautions and infection control guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Nursing Guidelines, accompanied by detailed illustrations, guide students through various kinds of nursing care or suggestions for managing client care problems.
- Client and Family Teaching Boxes highlight essential education points for nurses to communicate to clients and their families.
- Critical Thinking Exercises strengthen students’ ability to apply their understanding of chapter content to clinical situations or rhetorical questions.
- NCLEX-PN®-style Questions reflect the 2016 NCLEX-PN Test Plan and prepare students to excel on their exams.
- Glossary provides fast access to a comprehensive list of definitions.
- Bibliography directs students to supplemental resources for greater understanding.
1 Nursing Foundations
2 Nursing Process
UNIT 2 Integrating Basic Concepts
3 Laws and Ethics
4 Health and Illness
5 Homeostasis, Adaptation, and Stress
6 Culture and Ethnicity
UNIT 3 Fostering Communication
7 The Nurse–Client Relationship
8 Client Teaching
9 Recording and Reporting
UNIT 4 Performing Basic Client Care
11 Admission, Discharge, Transfer, and Referrals
12 Vital Signs
13 Physical Assessment
14 Special Examinations and Tests
UNIT 5 Assisting With Basic Needs
16 Fluid and Chemical Balance
18 Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
20 Pain Management
22 Infection Control
UNIT 6 Assisting the Inactive Client
23 Body Mechanics, Positioning, and Moving
24 Fitness and Therapeutic Exercise
25 Mechanical Immobilization
26 Ambulatory Aids
UNIT 7 The Surgical Client
27 Perioperative Care
28 Wound Care
29 Gastrointestinal Intubation
UNIT 8 Promoting Elimination
30 Urinary Elimination
31 Bowel Elimination
UNIT 9 Medication Administration
32 Oral Medications
33 Topical and Inhalant Medications
34 Parenteral Medications
35 Intravenous Medications
UNIT 10 Intervening in Emergency Situations
36 Airway Management
UNIT 11 Caring for the Terminally Ill
38 End-of-Life Care
References and Suggested Readings
Appendix A Commonly Used Abbreviations and Acronyms
Publication Month: October, 2020
Product Format: Paperback
Number of pages: 948 pages
Bisacs: MEDICAL / Nursing / LPN & LVN