Breath & Heart SoundsJessica Shank CovielloRead MorePractitioners and students: see and hear breath and heart sounds with remarkable clarity while perfecting your auscultation technique.
Auscultation Skills: Breath & Heart Sounds, Fifth Edition, pinpoints exactly how, where, and why breath and heart sounds occur and helps you to differentiate normal from abnormal sounds quickly and accurately. Loaded with clear explanations, colorful illustrations, and linked to online audio cues, this sensational reference spans the simple to the complex and serves as an excellent tool for beginning practitioners and seasoned clinicians who are looking to hone their diagnostic skills and improve their auscultation technique.
This compact, practical book will improve your ability to auscultate for heart and breath sounds, and enhance your understanding of their physiology. Throughout, the book references corresponding tracks on the accompanying website, enabling users to listen to the sounds immediately after reading about the anatomical and physiologic changes associated with the sounds.
Kathleen Rice Simpson, Patricia A. CreehanRead MoreAn official publication of the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), Perinatal Nursing, Fourth Edition presents up-to-date information based on the most rigorous evidence and offers suggestions for best practices. This new edition of the authoritative, comprehensive text used by perinatal nurses worldwide features a wealth of new content to keep practice current.
You’ll reach for this highly practical resource for: expanded coverage of high-risk pregnancy, from bleeding in pregnancy to preterm labor and birth, diabetes, cardiac disease, pulmonary complications, multiple gestation, and maternal-fetal transport. And, you'll expertly manage today's broader scope of perinatal nursing with . . . an all-new chapter on obesity in pregnancy covers risks to the mother and fetus, care from preconception to postpartum, as well as bariatric surgery. And, an expanded chapter on newborn nutrition includes new sections on the infant feeding decision, benefits of breastfeeding, nutritional components, and preterm milk and lactation. New chapters related to patient safety and the development of a highly reliable perinatal unit, inform nurses how to conduct team training and drills for obstetric emergencies, create checklists, and effectively handoff patients.
Two experienced perinatal nurses team with the prestigious Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses and more than 70 contributors and reviewers for an unbiased perspective. You’ll know the best evidence and latest standards for all areas of your perinatal practice by drawing on a wealth of wisdom gathered into the brand new edition of AWHONN’s Perinatal Nursing, 4th edition.
Edición actualizadaSuzanne Smeltzer, Brenda Bare, Janice L. Hinkle, Kerry H. CheeverRead MoreBrunner y Suddarth. Enfermería medicoquirúrgica ha sido la obra de referencia para estudiantes, docentes y profesionales de la enfermería en activo durante casi cinco décadas. En esta obra se tratan con exhaustividad un gran número afecciones, centrándose en conceptos fisiológicos, fisiopatológicos y psicosociales.
En especial, no obstante, se hace hincapié en la atención de enfermería, y se da una especial relevancia al papel del profesional en el cuidado, la educación y la ayuda al paciente y sus allegados.
En esta 12.ª edición se mantienen como puntos fuertes la legibilidad y el enfoque centrado en los procesos de enfermería. Estas características han ayudado a incontables estudiantes a prepararse para sus roles y responsabilidades en el ámbito medicoquirúrgico. Pero, además de otras novedades, esta nueva edición ofrece una mejor visualización de la información y una mejor portabilidad para los estudiantes.
Cambios exclusivos en esta edición actualizada:
- En esta nueva edición, el conjunto de recursos se completa con actividades de simulación, pruebas de adaptación y distintos recursos en línea para ayudar a los estudiantes a prepararse para responder a las demandas de la enfermería contemporánea y alcanzar la excelencia profesional.
- Programa de simulación, con experiencias más realistas para ayudar al estudiante y para ayudar a la facultad a conectar teoría y simulación.
- Pruebas de repaso de los contenidos del curso.
- Acceso a manual de laboratorio y pruebas diagnósticas.
- Contenidos mejorados con dos casos clínicos por capítulo.
- Imágenes y diseño gráfico rediseñado para obtener una lectura clara y aprovechar el espacio al máximo.
- Más cuadros de directrices, gráficas de recomendaciones de salud y tablas sobre el tratamiento de pacientes de distintas procedencias étnicas y aspectos relacionados.
- Videos y ejercicios interactivos sobre las habilidades más importantes del profesional de la enfermería.
- Recursos digitales ampliados que incluyen el manual de pruebas y diagnósticos de laboratorio, casos medicoquirúrgicos interactivos y curso de enfermería medicoquirúrgica en línea.
- Posibilidad de descargar el e-book a todo color desde la plataforma Vital Source.
- Revisión completa de la obra.
- Adición de un capítulo sobre obesidad.
- Traducción de gran parte del contenido en línea, como el banco de preguntas interactivo y el banco de imágenes, entre otros recursos.
Susan L. Woods, Erika S. Sivarajan Froelicher, Sandra Adams (Underhill) Motzer, Elizabeth J. BridgesRead More
Cardiac Nursing is recognized as "The Red Reference Book" for nurses caring for patients who have, or are at risk for developing, cardiac diseases. The book provides both basic and advanced content in evidence-based care and emphasizes health promotion, health maintenance, and disease management. The five-part organization consists of anatomy and physiology; physiologic and pathophysiologic responses; assessment of heart disease; pathophysiology of heart disease; and health promotion and disease prevention.
This edition has a new Global Perspective feature in most chapters, which reflects the rich cultural mix of patient populations and helps to determine appropriate care. A new chapter on Global Health reflects WHO commitments to reducing heart disease worldwide.
Fiona R. Prabhu, Lynn S. BickleyRead More
Using actual case vignettes, this resource will help students apply their skills in history taking and physical examination and test their knowledge by answering case-based questions. This edition includes additional cases on the older adult and other new topics covered in the Ninth Edition of Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking.
The A-to-Z Guide to Better Nursing DocumentationLippincott Williams & WilkinsRead More
Thoroughly updated for its Third Edition, this portable handbook shows nurses in all practice settings exactly what to document in any situation. Nearly 300 alphabetically organized entries cover diseases, emergencies, procedures, legal and ethical problems, and difficult situations involving patients, families, and other health care professionals. Legal Casebook sidebars provide real-world examples of court cases. AccuChart sample forms show how to accurately complete various forms.
This edition includes new, difficult, and timely charting situations such as moderate sedation, medication reconciliation, infant identification, faxing medical records, and requests by families for medical advice. Other highlights include expanded information on the electronic medical record, current Joint Commission guidelines on abbreviation use, and the newest NANDA nursing diagnoses.
Charting: An Incredibly Easy! Pocket Guide provides time-starved nurses with essential documentation guidelines in a streamlined, bulleted format, with illustrations, logos, and other Incredibly Easy! features. The book is conveniently pocket sized for quick reference anytime and anywhere.
The first section reviews the basics of charting, including types of records, dos and dont's, and current HIPAA and JCAHO regulations. The second section, alphabetically organized, presents hundreds of examples and guidelines for accurately charting everyday occurrences. Logos include Help Desk best practices tips; Form Fitting completed forms that exemplify top-notch documentation; Making a Case documentation-related court cases; and Memory Jogger mnemonics.
Solving Problems Using Dimensional AnalysisGloria P. CraigRead MoreClinical Calculations Made Easy is a compact, easy-to-use, pocket-sized guide/reference to dosage calculation and drug administration. It includes a review of basic math skills, measurement systems, and drug calculations/preparations using dimensional analysis. The sixth edition provides many opportunities for students to practice their skills. Additional practice problems further strengthen the student’s dosage calculations skills while new information related to vaccines has been added with tables for administering vaccines to adults and children. In addition, there are practice problems related to the tables to help students understand how to use these types of tables effectively.
Cathy Thomas HessRead MoreThis useful resource will help both clinicians and institutions deliver wound care that's both appropriate for patient needs and cost-effective for the institution. Featuring important new information on documentation regulations, including helpful checklists, and offering take-away highlights in every chapter, this useful resource also provides new content on lymphedema management guidelines, negative pressure wound therapy, and capturing data using today's media capabilities. Part 1 covers the fundamentals of skin and wound care, including assessment, treatment, prevention, nutrition, and documentation. Part 2 offers profiles and photos of hundreds of skin and wound care products, all categorized and alphabetized for easy reference. The book also includes a full-color wound photo section, wound checklists, and much more.
Joanne HickeyRead MoreThe new Seventh Edition of the award-winning classic prepares its users to deliver expert care in this challenging nursing specialty. It addresses neuroanatomy, assessment, diagnostic evaluation and management of the complete range of neurological disorders for which nurses provide patient care, including trauma, stoke, tumors, seizures, headache, aneurysms, infections, degenerative disorders and features new chapters on neurological critical care and peripheral neuropathies. The new edition has been thoroughly revised to reflect standards of care based on evidence-based practice. It now includes separate pathophysiology sections in each chapter, new resource guides, such as internet sites and professional and patient information sources, key points summaries, evidence-based boxes, and nursing research features.
A companion site with fully-searchable text and image bank is available with purchase of the book.
Advanced Concepts, Trends, and OpportunitiesPamela R JeffriesRead MoreWhile confronting many challenges related to changes in health care, higher education, and clinical practice, nurse educators are exploring new opportunities for innovative teaching/learning methods, new clinical models, and educational practices to provide high-quality education to promote optimal, quality patient care. Clinical simulations can provide health care educators one approach to create student-centered, experiential environments that engage and prepare the learner for real-world practice.
Clinical Simulations in Nursing Education: Advanced Concepts, Trends, and Opportunities provides chapters authored by expert simulation researchers, educators, and users to shed light on important advancements and emerging topics in clinical simulation including:
Enhanced interprofessional education and practice through simulation
Expansion of clinical simulation globally
Development of a good business plan and consideration of the economic model of a simulation center
Research and evaluation of clinical simulation
Certification of educators and accreditation of simulation centers
Hussein M. Tahan, Teresa M. TreigerRead More
This comprehensive, expertly-written guide provides those directly or indirectly involved in case management with information about best practices, descriptions of key terms, essential skills, and tools that fulfill the current Case Management Society of America’s (CMSA) standards and requirements. Addressing the full spectrum of healthcare professional roles and environments, this is both a crucial certification study guide and vital clinical resource for the case management professionals in all specialty areas, from students to veteran case managers.
This unique resource provides the core knowledge needed for safe, cost-effective case management with the following features:
- NEW text boxes highlighting key information and vital practices in each chapter
- NEW and updated Standards of Practice implications in each chapter
- NEW and updated content on transitions of care, community-based care, care coordination, Value-Based Purchasing, ethics and social media, the impacts of health care reform, and digital technology
- NEW and updated content on accreditation in case management
- NEW chapter that lists key additional resources, by topic
- Official publication of the Case Management Society of America, connecting CMSA core curriculum to current CMSA Standards of Practice
- Easy-to-grasp, detailed topical outline format for quick scan of topics
- Complete, updated core knowledge required of case managers, with expert descriptions and direction on areas including:
- Case management roles, functions, tools, and processes
- Plans, clinical pathways, and use of technology
- Transitional planning
- Utilization management and resource management
- Leadership skills and concepts
- Quality and outcomes management; legal and ethical issues
- Education, training, and certification
- Health care insurance, benefits, and reimbursement systems
- Practice settings and throughput
- Interdisciplinary teams’ needs in: hospitals, community clinics, private practice, acute care, home care, long-term care and rehab settings, palliative care, and hospice settings
- Up-to-date guidance on case management specialty practices, including: nursing, life care planning, workers’ compensation, disability management, care of the elderly, behavioral health, transitions of care, subacute and long-term care, utilization review/management, primary care and medical/health home, and more
- Essential content for academic reference, training, certification study, case management models design, performance or program evaluation
Promoting the Public's HealthCherie RectorRead MoreHelp your students understand that community/public health nursing skills benefit their nursing practice as well as patient outcomes in acute care
This student-friendly, highly visual text expands students’ viewpoints from the client-nurse relationship to a population focus. Acknowledging that population-focused tools and interventions are needed in acute care, as infection rates continue to rise and nurse-sensitive outcome indictors are closely monitored, Cherie Rector weaves in meaningful, real-life examples, case studies, and perspectives to help students understand that transitions in care are critical in today’s healthcare system. Covering a multitude of community and public settings, situations, and populations, the book helps students learn about promoting health, preventing disease (not just treating it), and protecting at-risk populations—including the elderly, the LGBT community, and veterans. This fully updated 9th Edition encourages students to think more globally and covers new innovations and emerging threats to the public’s health.
Gail A. Harkness, Rosanna DeMarcoRead MoreOffering a greater emphasis on evidence-based practice than any other book for the course, Community and Public Health Nursing, 2nd Edition, demonstrates best practices in the field and helps students develop the abstract critical thinking skills and complex reasoning abilities they need to make connections between data and practice decisions. Succinct, manageable, and logically organized, the Second Edition focuses on the individual in the context of the community setting and on the global community, reflecting increasingly global healthcare concerns.
To help students develop the clinical judgment they will need in their future careers, the book includes an exceptional array of case-based activities. Case studies in every chapter focus on regional, national, and international community settings and are supported by online answers, discussion questions, and reflective journaling assignments. In addition, five unique, interactive online case studies complement each Part in the text. Finally, the expanded and visually enhanced “Adam’s County” online resource includes case-based questions, activities, critical thinking assignments, and—new to this edition—suggested answers.
The Second Edition features an increased focus on non-communicable diseases as a global trend, enhanced content on program evaluation, new examples, and a wide range of online teaching and learning resources to save you time and help your students succeed.
An Official Publication of the Infusion Nurses SocietyMary Alexander, Ann M. Corrigan, Lisa A Gorski, Lynn PhillipsRead More
The Fourth Edition of the Core Curriculum for Infusion Nursing, an official publication of the Infusion Nurses Society, is the comprehensive authority when preparing for the Certified Registered Nurse Infusion (CRNI®) examination. The Core Curriculum also serves as an invaluable resource in any practice setting, helping you provide optimal infusion nursing care. An easy-to-use outline format allows quick review and retrieval of information within the core content areas: Technology and Clinical Application, Fluid and Electrolyte Balance, Pharmacology, Infection Prevention and Control, Transfusion Therapy, Antineoplastic Biologic Therapy, and Parenteral Nutrition. This completely revised edition reflects the expanded scope of infusion nursing practice and offers extensive coverage on special populations, highlighting infusion nursing in pediatrics, as well as older adults and pregnancy.
Sandra A. Cupples, Stacee Lerret, Vicki McCalmont, Linda OhlerRead MoreFace the complex challenges of transplant nursing with confidence, with the newly expanded and updated Core Curriculum for Transplant Nurses, 2nd Edition.
This official publication of the International Transplant Nurses Society (ITNS) offers crucial, real-life direction on the science and skills required for every kind of solid organ transplant, from initial evaluation to long-term follow-up. Based on the Certified Clinical Transplant Nurse (CCTN) exam content, this is a must-have training and teaching guide for nursing educators, students, and all clinicians seeking CCTN certification or a transplant nursing practice.
This unique resource offers the core knowledge needed for safe, effective transplant care, with …
- NEW chapter on quality assurance and performance improvement (QAPI) and regulatory issues
- NEW chapter on vascular composite allograft transplantation (VCA)
- NEW chapter on mechanical circulatory support (MCS) devices
- NEW United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) criteria for VCA procedures and other UNOS policies, including organ allocation policies
- NEW Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines for patient selection for destination therapy
- NEW evidence-based International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation guidelines
- NEW patient discharge checklists, and examples of QAPI scorecards and regulator indicators
- More than 200 end-of-chapter sample test questions to aid CCTN exam study
- More than 200 new and updated charts and figures
- Outline format that supports on-the-spot reference, with detailed direction on:
- Transplant immunology and pharmacology; updated content on medications
- Psychosocial issues
- Ethical issues, such as living donations and procuring deceased donors
- Allocation systems for organs in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Australia
- Care of living donors
- Life-long posttransplant follow-up
- Organ-specific chapters offer comprehensive information on areas including:
- Initial organ-specific evaluation
- Pre- and postoperative adult and pediatric care
- Pathophysiology of end-stage organ failure
- Surgical techniques
- Immunosuppressive medications
- Posttransplant complications
- Discharge teaching and follow-up
- Essential study guide for the American Board for Transplant Certification (ABTC) Certified Clinical Transplant Nurse exam, the ABTC Certified Clinical Transplant Coordinators exam, and the CCTN certification exam.
An Official Publication of the Society for Vascular Nursing (SVN)Cynthia Rebik Christensen, Patricia A. LewisRead MoreAn official publication of the Society for Vascular Nursing, the Second Edition of the Core Curriculum for Vascular Nursing provides the core knowledge needed by the novice entering the specialty. It also serves as a manual for the nursing instructor, a study guide for cardiovascular certification, and a reference for the experienced vascular clinician caring for the challenging vascular patient. Topics include the evolution of vascular nursing, vascular assessment and diagnosis, vascular nursing research, and guideline-directed medical, endovascular and surgical therapy for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis, aortic aneurysm, renal artery stenosis, vascular access, venous disease, vascular trauma, amputations, and lymphedema.